You will start in first person view, if you prefer you can zoom out by scrolling the mouse wheel which is what I’ve done below.
Depending on you choice of language you will have a English Uni/Francais Uni/Deutsch Uni/Russian Uni/Spanish Uni chat box front and center. Go ahead and click the little purple x in the right hand corner of the chat box. This will move the individual chat box to the chat box area in the lower left of your screen into a tab.
Read the Welcome to Atys box and click ok.
Your screen should now look a little like this without all the notations.
Because most of us use out of game references we like to play windowed, so let’s dive into game set up: Hit the U key or on the Menu Bar click System/computer on red icon. I will walk you though a basic set up, nothing fancy.
Click the plus box next to Graphics > Click General
- Fullscreen (box checked) and windowed (unchecked)
- VBL Sync a link to a detailed explanation
- Texture High/Normal/Low if you are running on an old system or 32 bit window it is recommend to run on LOW
- Screen Ratio set the bottom box to Auto
- Screen Control leave these alone, if you need to make adjustments use your monitor or computer setting to adjust.
Now click Apply and OK and exit and restart your game. (red x box in menu bar, bottom right of screen)
More Game Configurations: Hit the U key or on the Menu Bar click System/computer on red icon>click the + next to Graphics>
- Click Landscape
- You can choose Low/Medium/Normal/High preset or define your own, once again low is recommend for older systems.
- Far Clip The maximum distance that landscape is drawn
- Tile Near Clip (unknown)
- Quality (unknown)
- Micro-Vegetation off is unchecked, on is checked and between 10-100%, this is little added tuffs of grass and shrub to enhance the ground cover.
- Click Character
- You can choose Low/Medium/Normal/High presets or define you own
- Max. Polygons this is the maximum number of polygons used to draw a character on screen, the more polygons the more detail a character will have.
- Max. High Def. this the the maximum number of high definition character it will draw, if you set the limit to 5 characters, it will draw 5 characters in high definition, and the reset in low definition.
- Far Clip is the maximum distance it will draw a character on you screen. If you set it to 50 m (the lowest) it will not draw characters beyond 50 meters.
- Racial Animations this enables additional animations that are different to each race, think back to the play button on your character creation screen.
- Click Special Effects these are things like flames on a fire, glow orbs on surface harvest nodes, seems mostly limited to lighted effects
- You can choose Low/Medium/Normal/High presets or define you own
- Max. Polygons this is the maximum number of polygons used to draw an effect on screen, the more polygons the more detail an effect will have.
- Enable Shadows checked turn shadows on, unchecked off
- Enable Bloom this seems to be a blur or softening effect to the screen.
- Square Filter turns on the ability to control the density of the blur.
- Click Sound (I like many player play with the sound off)
- Enable Sound Checked is on, unchecked is off
- Use EAX link to explanation
- Soft Buffer this has to do with amount of sound processed and has a greater effect with the max tracks limited
- Max. Tracks is the maximum number of sound tracks played at a time.
- SFX Volume is the sound effects such as wind, MOB noises, nodes popping, campfires burning, fighting and weapon effects.
- Music Volume You may only notice this for the splash screens of the game as Silan does not seem to have music.
Click Apply, Click OK, and restart the game again after these changes. Note that sometimes all changes do not take at once and some may have to be reset again with more game restarts. Your character and settings are saved to the server about every 8 minuets (note some things are not server saved, but saved on your computer, more on that later).
Even More Game Configurations: Hit the U key or on the Menu Bar click System/computer on red icon>click the + next to Input>
- Click Mouse
- Most of these are self explanatory and I’ll leave them to your choice
- Hardware recommended to have this checked as it helps with slow responses from mouses.
- Double Click Mode this means that if you double click something in-game the primary action will be taken immediately. If you double click a corpse you will loot it, but if you double click a live creature you will attack it. A word of warning, many a good player have died due to double clicking on the wrong thing by mistake.
- Click Keyboard once again self explanatory, and more of a camera option than the keyboard options.
Click the + next to Interface>
- Click HUD
- Right-clicking also selects this allows you to select and bring up a right click menu in one click.
- Follow the Attacked Target Most MOBs, Tribes, NPC, will turn and come toward you as soon as you attack, but in player vs player if your target tries to run you will follow them, for good or bad.
- Attack the target as soon as selected not recommended unless you are very careful about what you are clicking on.
- Auto Equip Mode this only works to auto equip your harvesting tool when selecting a node for harvest and is recommended.
- Automatic Camera locks your camera onto your target. This can be a good thing at times and bad. If you have it turned on and you try to mouse pan your screen it will immediately snap back to your target until you use the move keys.
- User Character Fading this fades your character if you hover your mouse over it, and the opacity of the fade can be controlled by the slider bar.
- Dynamic Display of Current Action This is additional animations of your characters current action.
- Show Clock in Compass this shows your time zone current time in the compass (not the game time).
- Show Target Reticle the white circles in the picture above. These are very handy and recommended. They will also change color with the type and level of target.
- Click Windows
- You can choose different background colors for windows for daytime and night time, click the color box, click a color, click apply
- Global Opacity this is the transparency of windows and contents and left as is. It is better to set each window individually.
- Mouse-Over Opacity apparently a setting to change the opacity on hover, not recommended to change.
- Show 3D Item preview you can see a 3D image of what the item will look like on with this checked, when you click the info menu option of an item.
- Click Heading Colors
- You can choose different background colors for window title bars with this window.
- Click the colored box you want to change, click the new color, click apply
- Click Ring Header Colors
- Same idea as Heading Colors.
- Click Chat
- Same idea as Heading Colors but this is for the Chat text colors in your chat window.
- Enter Doesn’t quite chat box this means that you will be stuck in the chat box. Leave this unchecked.
- Show Timestamps in chat make sure this is checked, this will allow you to see the time (in your current time zone) of each posted chat. This way you are not running to rez someone that asked 15 minuet ago.
- Show Dynamic Channel Name in User chat unless you can remember what each of the 7 dynamic chat channels are, check this so that it tells you which dynamic channel it came from at the beginning of a post.
- Show online/offline Notifications will post log in and out of friends, team mates, and guild mates.
- Font Size this slider bar controls the text size of all chat windows.
- Click Entity Colors
- On your compass you can change the colors for each entity here.
- Click the color you want to change, click the color, click apply
- Click the + next to In Scene
- Click Player Info
- Choose what to display for your character.
- Click Friend Info
- Choose what to display for friendly characters
- Choose what to display for NPC
- Check all 3 NPC options at the bottom till you are familiar with who and what everyone is.
- The small icon option will reduce the large icons next to NPC to small colored dots, not recommended till later on.
- Enemy Info this will allow you to see and PVP enemy info in game.
- Click Chat Message
- Player Chat Bubbles: displays your own chat messages in a bubble above your head.
- Friend Chat Bubbles: Displays other players chat messages in a bubble above them. This is great for locating players that need a rez. You can see the chat bubble long before you can see them, or see their dot on radar.
- Enemy Chat Bubbles: Displays PVP enemy chat above there head. Once again can be useful seeing an enemy from a distance.
- Click Landmarks
- This will change the color of the flags on you map. Click the Color, click new color, Click Apply.
- Click Help
- make sure this is checked for now to give you extra help info.