Before you create your first character you need to make some choices. Contrary to popular though it does matter what race you choose to start because that will affect where you end up after the starter island and what your fame is. (for detailed information on fame read a great post here.)
**Keep in mind that nothing is set in stone, you can change factions and race at any time, and you can teleport or trek (on foot travel) to any land you want to.
After you finish at the starter island you get to choose where you start on the Mainland. The three main point to consider are:
Crafting: If you want to continue leveling your crafting skills right away then it is recommended that you go to the capital city of you race. If you do not start at your races capital then you will have to spend 50 skill point to learn that races crafting and spend additional skill points to get that races crafting patterns; OR wait till you can trek to your races land to level your crafting skills.
Re-spawn Points: When you die hopefully someone will heal you back to life (rez/rezzed/rezzing), if not you will have to re-spawn at specified points. Re-Spawn points are different from teleports or portals, but are typically combine with them.
Roll Play : Trykers are fun loving, boozing, and traders. Matis are condescending because of the connection to royalty. Fryos are belligerent and drinkers. Zorai are meditative.
For a in depth overview of each race see the old new player guide post.
There are two main factions/religions and each race is associated with one to begin with Kami (Zorai/Fryos) and Kara (Matis/Tryker). Respawn points are either Kami, Kara, or neutral. Each land is associated with a faction: with Kami being Desert and Jungle, and Kara being Lakes and Forest.
Each land has 2 types of re-spawn points neutral and faction. If you are Kara (Matis/Tryker) and are in Kami lands (desert/jungle) you will not have as many available re-spawn points as if you were a Kami in Kami lands and vice versa. At higher levels this is a mute point, at lower levels this can make all the difference between taking an hour or a day to grind levels especially in less populated areas of the game.
**Even though you will start as neutral your character is still associated by game mechanics as one faction or the other, you are not aligned to that faction though. (I have not chosen to align with Kama or Kara so I can’t say for sure if the available re-spawn points change when you switch factions. Remember re-spawn point are different from teleport or portals)
There are four main surface area’s of the game, each area is sectioned into different level areas having 50 levels per area:
- Witherings also know as the Jungle. It is the land of the Zorai and Kami aligned.
- Pros: easy 1-50 mainland starting area with little to no agro, easy harvesting area, has a very easy occupation that can be done quickly.
- Cons: 51-100 level area has large amounts of agro, less populated, the capitol city Zora is known to make some systems crash when you run into the city, second hardest area to trek out of, and the regional teleport system is poorly placed, seems to have the second slowest race but the margin of difference has no impact on game play.
- Burning Desert is the land of the Fryos and is Kami aligned.
- Pros: easy 1-50 level and 51-100 level area with some sparse agro, and a well placed regional teleport system to different level areas.
- Cons: Ties with forest for second popular area, and harder region to level harvesting skills, has one of the more complicated “easy” occupation.
- Verdant Heights also know as the Forest is the land of the Matis and Kara aligned.
- Pros: good harvesting area, beautiful forest lodgings
- Cons: Lots of agro, ties with desert for second popular area, lack of re-spawn points and so so placed regional teleport system.
- Aeden Aqueous also know as the Lakes is the land of the Tryker and Kara aligned.
- Pros: easy 1-50 and 51-100 mainland starting area with some agro, most popular region of the four, very easy occupation that is only a little more time consuming, better market trade than the other regions, good regional teleport system to different level areas, the fastest race but has no impact on game play.
- Cons: One of the hardest areas to trek out of, not the easiest area to learn harvesting, and lots of swimming to get from area to area (swimming is much slower than running)